USB required for downgrade?

<<

maskedhood

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:09 am

USB required for downgrade?

what up tho!
just got my psp last week, after my first was stolen months ago..
just discovered the existence of homebrews and psp hacking a few days ago..

so ive been going through sites, researching info, so i can decide if i want to downgrade, and how to do so properly.

my question is, is the USB cable required to downgrade?
i cant recall, as my box is at a friends, but does the psp come with a usb cable?

can you downgrade, set up homebrews, then upgrade and still be able to run homebrews?
or homebrew only works at certain system versions?
<<

Slick

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks received: 1

Post Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:01 pm

my question is, is the USB cable required to downgrade?i cant recall, as my box is at a friends,
but does the psp come with a usb cable?

yes a USB is required to downgrade, because you will need the files on your psp to
write to flash. You may need to buy it separately, as mines did not come with one.

can you downgrade, set up homebrews, then upgrade and still be able to run homebrews?
or homebrew only works at certain system versions?

yes, it all depends on what your firmware version is to run homebrew or to downgrade.
<<

2rev

Brewer
Brewer

Thanks received: 0

Post Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:08 pm

pspruler wrote:
my question is, is the USB cable required to downgrade?i cant recall, as my box is at a friends,
but does the psp come with a usb cable?

yes a USB is required to downgrade, because you will need the files on your psp to
write to flash. You may need to buy it separately, as mines did not come with one.

Actually a USB is not required. There's another method of viewing your files on your memory stick. If you have an output device (such as a printer), look for a slot fitted for the memory stick. I'm not sure if the extending sleeve is required, but my sister has a printer suited for this.

Not saying that this is a better technique, but just proving that the USB isn't the only way to connect xD
2rev
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:04 pm

^ simple & sweet version ^

any compatible card reader will suit your needs as well as a usb cable

p.s. - I choose to use usb instead of my card reader now b/c after using it for so long, I worry that my "memory stick door" on the psp will become too loose in the future.

-DarkPacMan77-
D3ViLsAdvocate wrote:Try shaking the salt harder onto your tongue.
<<

Mailas

Post Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:17 pm

Without an actual cable to run the data its impossible, so USB cable yes.
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:04 pm

Mailas G wrote:Without an actual cable to run the data its impossible, so USB cable yes.

No not correct. It is entirely possible to manually downgrade the psp instead of using an auto-installer; in that case, you don't need a USB cable.

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

Slick

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:08 pm

well I can't think of any other way, but if what 2rev said above is true, then I guess so, but I never
really tried it.
<<

Slick

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:43 pm

I've tried to do it on a ps2 lol.
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:39 am

Card readers vary in quality, but you can buy an internal one for less than $10 online and it will transfer just fine - not a noticeable difference between usb or card reader unless your computer just can't process the request to send much information out at a time ** see note

Also, you can put files on the psp wirelessly, but you need a program on the psp to do that, which means that in order to downgrade then you CAN'T do that b/c you can't run homebrew on a psp that isn't downgraded (unless it is version 1.00 - 1.50 or using HEN of course).

**note**

I have two memory sticks - sony and sandisk. The Sony card has slower read/write times and is authentic, which is known to be true, but anyways, it took me 31 minutes to put about 700 songs on my psp (slower comp + many files + sony card = slow downs expected). However, I hooked up my psp to a ps3 the other day and I was transferring music to the ps3's hard drive. I transferred entire cds in about 3 seconds. USB 2.0/ firewire has the ability to transfer data at VERY fast rates but it won't work fast if your machine can't handle to process the request - and obviously the ps3 can - even on a Sony MS;)

-DarkPacMan77-

Return to PSP Help