Forum    News    Downloads    Saved Games

PSP Slim's Video Output? So what's it like?

<<

Jay-Jay

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:55 pm

PSP Slim's Video Output? So what's it like?

Just curious, what is PSP Slim's video output like? Does it generate a good output to play your PSP games on a TV? Or even to a large plasma TV?

Back in the day when fat PSP was new, I had bought one of those camera/mirror gadgets to project the image unto a TV, but the quality was horrible Read more here (check out the date of that thread) hehehe! http://pspbrew.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3307

I still have that darn thing (in it's box), and I have tried it with several televisions (especially now with the new LCDs and Plasmas) the image still sucks!
Stylin' with a "Phat" PSP CFW: 5.00 M33-6 w/Kernel 150 add-on 5.00
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:13 pm

The video output quality is very good with the slim psp. I don't own one, but I've seen the display and I can honestly say that when Sony says "DVD-like picture clarity" that they aren't fooling around. I think it's definitely a good selling point for the PSP - making a portable system also a home console. It does it well.

-DarkPacMan77-
D3ViLsAdvocate wrote:Try shaking the salt harder onto your tongue.
<<

Jay-Jay

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:26 pm

I think I am getting one just for that! LOL! But then, why not just get a PS3 right? LOL! You know guys, I don't even own a TV game console. The last one I ever purchases was Sega Dreamcast--and had fun running NES, SNES, and GEN roms.
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:32 pm

I think the price of the psp should have dropped more by now but the slim psp is still at a good price, IMO. I certainly wouldn't buy a PSP for only video out lol, but it's still a worthy addition to the arsenal of features the PSP offers over the Nintendo DS.

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

Jay-Jay

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:33 am

I know what you mean DPM. I would have really enjoyed everyone saying that it sucked, so I would not have the curious bug of getting it now. :-(

You know, I have never thought of researching the difference between the fat and slim versions of PSP. I know I have heard of the slim is a light version of the fat one, so when they say this, it is like not that great? Am I right?
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:42 am

The slim PSP offers a few advantages. It's (mathematically) just shy of being 19% thinner than the older PSP units and weighs a noticeable amount less as well mostly because of the new UMD tray and less metal brackets inside. The slim also offers advantages in onboard NAND memory. The old PSPs had 32mb and the new ones have 64mb. Firmware aside, the slim PSP units THEORETICALLY would be the very best for homebrew that is memory intensive, like the Daedalus project that StrmnNrmn is working on. The slims can also load most UMD games (and isos) faster because of a umdcache.prx (I think is what it is) that uses some of that extra memory to load data faster.

There's really two MAJOR negative aspects to the slim PSP. 1.) homebrew incompatibility - which is being worked on, and 2.) loss of IR (Infra Red) support. You would no longer be able to use any of the various IR programs that would turn the PSP into a universal remote.

Other than that, the differences are pretty slim. The question then becomes, "are the new features worth buying a new PSP?". If you have the extra money, I say yes, but if you're cautious with your dollar, I'd say to wait on buying a slim PSP still for a little bit longer. If the extra resources aren't made available for emulators like Daedalus or snes9x, I'd argue that the new PSP may not be worth the working man's dollar (if he already had an older model, that is). I think it's a great purchase for people just buying their first PSP though.

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

Jay-Jay

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:16 am

Thank you. You pretty much summed it up for me. If I do get some extra cash, I might get it, but it's not on my top-list of purchases. Thanks for taking the time to lay down the info.
<<

Jay-Jay

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:01 pm

I read somewhere that if they ever do complete the Time Machine hack, it will allow a PSP Slim to play homebrew like a Phat 1.50 PSP. Is this true?
<<

Surenix

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:35 pm

It's okay... bad quality though. Just stick with the original PSP display screen.
<<

BKFraiders7

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Location: On COD:BO2 iPhone User:5 Mac User: Macbook Pro Mtn Lion

Thanks received: 31 times

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:51 pm

Hey DPM, I think it would be AWESOME if DAX released a Slim Firmware on the Fat psp using Time Machine. I mean, ur stick has more then 32mb so it can hold a slims Firmware. and EVERYONE would have umd Cache and Skype. I think that would be AWESOME.
Watch me stream on MIXER or follow on Youtube at ChA0TiCxDR3AMS

Image Image
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:09 pm

I know, bfk, I've thought of the same thing. I wonder if that will work though. It might take some weird custom code to be able to trick the psp into thinking that the system memory is on the memory stick pro duo... I don't know if it's possible even. I've seen homebrew "miracles" in the past though. I mean, if we can trick the psp into thinking that the memory stick is where the UMD is read from... why not use that knowledge to our benefit?

-DarkPacMan77-

Return to PlayStation Portable