<<

Steeler12

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Wed May 21, 2008 11:20 am

PC crashed...

My comp has been repeatedly crashing for the past few days to the point of being useless and now its running a PC recovery and i really hope i dont lose any of my Documents/pictures/word docs/things that i can't get back. :(
Last edited by Steeler12 on Wed May 21, 2008 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steeler12
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 10 times

Thanks received: 29 times

Post Wed May 21, 2008 11:23 am

I'm sure dpm will also help you with this, but I guess I'll ask you the usual questions.
Is your computer overheating? Like does it crash when you try and multitask or run programs that eat resources for breakfeast? If so it could be overheating, like if it just shuts off. Try dusting it out, especially the heatsink on the processor that could do a world of difference.

If not then are you getting the blue screen of death? Is it just freezing? What the heck are your symptoms????
Often people try and just use the recovery console, to solve all there problems when there can be much more simpler methods of fixing it ;)
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
They call me tater salad.
<<

roxfox64

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Wed May 21, 2008 11:27 am

I would run an ISO of windows to figure out the problem, or boot in safe mode if possible.

But as myself the first thing I would do is Recover to 7 days ago :)
5.00M33-6
Image Veemon
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Wed May 21, 2008 11:31 am

Coming from the guy without a computer... lol j/k
Last edited by ace on Wed May 21, 2008 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
<<

roxfox64

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Wed May 21, 2008 11:31 am

Heh heh heh... I'm no noob ;)
Last edited by roxfox64 on Wed May 21, 2008 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
5.00M33-6
Image Veemon
<<

Steeler12

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Wed May 21, 2008 11:32 am

I know its not overheating, or overworking itself. Normally i would have tried to solve the problem before recovering, but it wouldnt stay on long enough to even attempt anything. Also, the PC makes an Odd noise, then reboots. And its not even during a complicated Task, or Multitasking session. I have done some very stressful multitasks on this pc and worked fine. I was simply browsing the internet with one window the last time it happened when it just flipped out. The one time i was able to read the Error report, I noted 2 system files in the report, and then it crashed again. If the problem still exists after the Recovery, I must have a slightly harder problem to locate....

I dont lose my data and files do i?
Steeler12
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Wed May 21, 2008 11:35 am

I've never had to use recovery so I wouldn't know lol.

So will it just randomly turn off? Like no blue screen, no nothing, it just turns off in miliseconds very randomly? I still suggest you run a program like PC Wizard 07', minimize it so the tempurate displays at the top right of the screen and keep an eye on it.
<<

Steeler12

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Wed May 21, 2008 11:40 am

I'm Positive it can't be Overheating. It may be an internal Hardware problem, but to be honest i've been meaning to clean up my comp's system a bit anyway based on how much Crap i've put on there to slow it down, so i'm not really worried about Recovering it, i just dont really want to lose all of my Documents that i wont be able to ever get again.

The crash was literally, it turns off for a split second, and reboots. When Re-entering the Desktop, i get a "serious system error warning" or whatever it is that gives you an error report. I'm almost sure that recovering should fix it based on the fact that the error appeared to be in the system files, however if the problem persists i'll have to look a bit deeper...
Steeler12
<<

roxfox64

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Wed May 21, 2008 11:41 am

Steeler12 wrote:I know its not overheating, or overworking itself. Normally i would have tried to solve the problem before recovering, but it wouldnt stay on long enough to even attempt anything. Also, the PC makes an Odd noise, then reboots. And its not even during a complicated Task, or Multitasking session. I have done some very stressful multitasks on this pc and worked fine. I was simply browsing the internet with one window the last time it happened when it just flipped out. The one time i was able to read the Error report, I noted 2 system files in the report, and then it crashed again. If the problem still exists after the Recovery, I must have a slightly harder problem to locate....

I dont lose my data and files do i?

No, or at least, if you've installed anything recently it gets deleted.

I.E. If its Friday, and you installed something on Wednesday, then Recovered to Monday what ever you installed on Wednesday gets deleted.
5.00M33-6
Image Veemon
<<

Steeler12

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Wed May 21, 2008 11:52 am

I don't Care about things i have installed, i care about things such as Pictures, roms, ISO's, word documents...
Steeler12
<<

roxfox64

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Wed May 21, 2008 11:56 am

Nah, they're fine. Do you have the OS CD still? You could just use the repair option.
5.00M33-6
Image Veemon
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Wed May 21, 2008 12:07 pm

You should always be able to pull out the hard drive and get the files. I guess, one of my old computers went dead but someone from my mom's work was able to take the files off and store them on his computer.
<<

Steeler12

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Wed May 21, 2008 12:22 pm

well the computer seems fine, i just lost all the Desktop files and i dont have any Music or Videos or games left on there...
I'm not really concerned with that so much considering that i have All of my games on my PSP memory stick, all of my music on my mp3 player and Pictures on my phone memory card, but i would like to know if the files are still on my computer...
Steeler12
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Wed May 21, 2008 12:33 pm

O well....
Anyways try using I believe it is called File Recovery 2 or something along those lines. I remember reading about it in one of the articles in PC Magazine that goes like "25 apps you can't live without". It's supposed to be a superb file recovery program, and it's free. Best of the free best.
<<

roxfox64

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Wed May 21, 2008 12:35 pm

Steeler12 wrote:well the computer seems fine, i just lost all the Desktop files and i dont have any Music or Videos or games left on there...
I'm not really concerned with that so much considering that i have All of my games on my PSP memory stick, all of my music on my mp3 player and Pictures on my phone memory card, but i would like to know if the files are still on my computer...

What did you do???
5.00M33-6
Image Veemon
Next

Return to General Chat