Mac?

<<

.Vault

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:21 am

the new all-in-one mac can have an internal hdd up to 1TB... that owns any personal PC... plus they have 4GB of seperate memory so the more you put on it, it will stay the same speed.... unlike most PC's that use shared memory so the more crap you put on it the slower it gets.
<<

Mailas

Post Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:25 pm

Ok.......Honestly I know of what macs can do.
I just need that address from you dano. Because all I need now is a good dealer.
<<

Slick

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks received: 1

Post Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:01 pm

Mailas lay off that stuff, its gonna mess you up pretty bad.
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 195 times

Thanks received: 51 times

Post Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:02 pm

yeah, so
ive only heard of 1 game for mac that is coming from ea
its like motorstorm and it's engine is going to be used for a lot of mac games
and just remember that if you switch to apple, you may become like this guy
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/apple
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:01 pm

I could build a PC that would run any program under the sun, process faster than any Mac, have 1, maybe 2 terrabytes of space, 8 gigs of ddr2 1000 ram, and have a graphics card more powerful than a PS3, all for the price that you could get a top of the line Mac for. Dollar for dollar, bang for buck, PC wins hands down. And guys, I'm not a "fanboy" at all, I'm just a realistic person with common logic.

So you have a better chance getting a virus on a PC. Big deal. Keep your operating system installed on a small partition and if you come across a virus bad enough to reformat - do it, and still have all of your personal files, unharmed, on your other, larger, partition. Better yet, if you have a PC like the one I described above, this process would only take a few minutes. Other than viruses, what can you guys HONESTLY say is BETTER in a Mac? I mean hell, if a computer virus will prompt you to spend hundreds upon hundreds of unnecessary dollars on unnecessary and non-upgradeable Mac computers, then maybe you shouldn't be around a computer to BEGIN WITH.

And for all of you Vista knockers. Guess what, it's good. It blew donkey chunks on dyslexic squirrels when it first came out, but it's sooooo much better now, and it makes my computing experience much more enjoyable - certainly more enjoyable than a Mac, because after all, I can actually run the software that's on the Market instead of sitting on the sidelines and missing out.

But hey, if you want a Mac, I'm not stopping you. I'd just rather get something worth the money.

-DarkPacMan77-
D3ViLsAdvocate wrote:Try shaking the salt harder onto your tongue.
<<

Danopoly

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Thanks received: 4 times

Post Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:31 am

8GB DDR ram, that sounds pretty sweet =) Not sure what your source is for getting a PC that cheap, but just to let you know, not everybody can afford 1100+ dollars for 8GB ram, and for high end, its about 3000 USD. 2TB of storage as well? thats pretty sweet as well, and better graphics than PS3? all for 1500 dollars and less? These specs make the entire world out of date =O

I guess if your a hardcore gamer, go for PC. For those specs, i would buy a dozen of those PC's and sell it for triple the price. Plus how can you get a faster processor than any mac when both PC's and MAC run the same processor?
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:44 am

About the Mac/ PC processor point, you have a good point. They use the same processors, so wah, I can't make a computer with a faster one, per se. But still, yes, show me the very most expensive Mac, and I will show you guys how to build a PC for the same price (or MUCH LOWER) that will function several times more efficiently and more powerfully than anything you've ever even thought about.

I have full confidence that I can back up any statements I've just made.

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

Danopoly

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:41 am

here ya go, powermac http://www.apple.com/ca/macpro/

accommodates up to four drives and 3TB of storage
offers eight DIMM slots to fill with up to 16GB of RAM
and provides up to two SuperDrives
8-core
two Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Clovertown” processors running at 3.0GHz.
3 graphics cards
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:06 pm

Ok, I'll accept the challenge. But honestly, there's literally no reason for dual Intel quad Xeons, so I'll opt for just one Core 2 Quad. You'll honestly never know the difference. But I'll be back with the parts list in a bit.

*edit* - Ok, now I don't mean to shout off at the mouth here, but after configuring "my own Macpro", I hit the $20,000 mark and beyond, easily. Let's keep in mind that in my fair state, there would be over $1,200 spent in SALES TAX ALONE! Now sure, I could have opted for a single monitor and not dual 30" or I could have just chilled on the ram instead of maxing it, but if you think it would cost more than $20,000 to buy individual parts and build a PC better than that, then you're completely out in left field...

I'll have the parts later though.

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

Kanadier

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 2 times

Thanks received: 60 times

Post Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:17 pm

I don't like mac's... Some people do, but It's just not meant for the kind of stuff I like to ( and tend to ) do. PC's ROCK!
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:54 pm

Ok. Now take this from me, ok. I went E-X-T-R-E-M-E-L-Y overboard with this computer. I could have easily made a computer comparable to the Macpro for HALF of this price, but instead, I went and made a computer that is twice as good as the Macpro, while still being less than half the price.

What I didn't include: - Operating System - Choose anything you want, it's still cheaper than $1200 unlimited Mac OS X
Keyboard - you should have one already
Mouse - you should have one already

Parts chosen:

TYAN S5382WAG2NRF Dual 771 Intel 5000P Extended ATX Server Motherboard - Retail $529.99
ABS Tagan ITZ Series ITZ1100 ATX12V / EPS12V 1100W Power Supply 115 - Retail $299.99
EVGA 768-P2-N887-AR GeForce 8800Ultra 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express - Retail $1,460 x2
Intel Xeon X5365 Clovertown 3.0GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache Socket 771 Processor - Retail $2,560 x2
HITACHI Deskstar 7 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Retail $2,040 x6
Kingston 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 FB-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) - Retail $2,400 x8 = 16 sticks/ 32gb RAM
SUPERMICRO CSE-743i-645B Black 4U Rackmount Case 645W 2x 5.25" - Retail $280
LITE-ON LightScribe Black 20X DVD±R Burner with 12X DVD-RAM write - Retail $76 x2
SABRENT CRW-UINB 52-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Card Reader w/ USB 2.0 Port - Retail $13
SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22" 2 ms (GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail $320 x2 would be 640

This computer, like the Macpro, uses a server board as it's mainboard. I've even used the same processors that the Macpro has. I've also gone above and beyond and installed more RAM than my entire neighborhood needs, as well as added two dvd burners capable of lightscribe. The graphics card is the top of the line 8800 Ultra. This card is more powerful than a PS3 by a mile and a half, and completely destroys the ones configurable in the Macpro - but not just that, I've added TWO of these beasts in here.

Full specs

Processor(s): 2x Intel Xeon Quad-Core (Clovertown core) @ 3.0ghz
Hard Drive Space: 6 hard drives and 6 terrabytes of storage space
RAM: 8x "4 x 2gb" kits of DDR2 667 server RAM for a total of 32gb of RAM
Optical: 2x Lite-On 20x DVD burners with lightscribe technology
Memory Card Reader: 52-in-1 Sabrent memory card reader
Monitor: 22" Samsung monitor (quality over size) - has 2ms response time and a 3000: 1 contrast ratio. You will see colors you've never seen and unparalleled graphical performance.
Graphics Processing Unit)s): 2x EVGA 8800Ultra's with the highest core clock available on the 8800 series and 768mb of 384 bit GDDR3 memory onboard. Keep in mind to DOUBLE those statistics because this baby has 2 of them.

~~~$9,979~~~

Now, that's not a "grand total". You'd still have to figure in shipping rates, and the Operating System (64 bit so it can use all of that ram) but even so, since all of this is from www.newegg.com, you don't have to pay sales tax. And if you're buying a Macpro, at 6% sales tax (Michigan) you'll pay far over $1,200 in sales tax alone. So that's plenty of money left over to buy your keyboard/ mouse/ and operating system... and even a PS3/ XBOX 360/ and Wii with all of the controllers and and ten games per console.

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

Danopoly

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:57 pm

why spend 9000+ when you could get the mac pro for 2,500 and have almost identical specs? Then just upload windows onto it then you save yourself 6 500 dollars.
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:45 pm

That Macpro doesn't have the 3.0ghz twin xeons. The "2,500" configuration is significantly less powerful. Anyways, I made that parts list based off of a "fully" loaded Macpro. I thought that's what you were wanting me to compare to. You said make something better than a Mac with...

"accommodates up to four drives and 3TB of storage
offers eight DIMM slots to fill with up to 16GB of RAM
and provides up to two SuperDrives
8-core
two Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Clovertown” processors running at 3.0GHz.
3 graphics cards"

Well, my friend, that's a $12,510.00 value when you configure the Mac with those specs. So you could get that, sure... but the configuration I came up with much, much better.

*edit* - If you wanted me to MATCH those specs, I could do it for less than half the price easily, but I think I've made that apparent.

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 195 times

Thanks received: 51 times

Post Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:25 am

if you really really really want a mac, mailas
you should just install mac os on your computer
i know there's a way to get around your computer and delete all of windows and install the mac os
<<

Mailas

Post Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:14 pm

Im actually using my parents PC XD
The chances of that happening are slim to 0.
I just want to find out where I can get a mac mini (in lower mainland) at an affordable price.
Because it seems Dano is the only one that can supply me with an address, since me and him live a city away.
PreviousNext

Return to General Chat