<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 15 times

Post Wed May 07, 2008 7:48 am

[Tutorial] Installing Downloaded VC Games

Description: Take those downloaded VC games/WAD files and install them on your Wii.

Disclaimer:
Neither I nor the brew network is responsible for anything that happens to you or your Wii.
Also, do not ask where to find/download Virtual Console games. Any posts asking this will be immediately deleted.
This tutorial is for only installing WAD files.
Use at your own risk!

Requirements:
-Copy of Wii Zelda: Twilight Princess
-SD card
-Twilight Hack files
-WAD installer
-Your WAD file(s)

This tutorial will be split into 2 parts. Part 1 will be setting up the Twilight Hack. Step 2 is the actual installation of WAD files. If you have the Twilight Hack already set up, then skip to Part 2 of this tutorial.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Part 1: Setting Up the Twilight Hack
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1: Extract the Twilight Hack files. Make sure the SD card you are using is formatted to FAT 16, or just FAT on some computers.

Step 2: If you already have a Zelda save file on your Wii, copy it to your SD card, delete it from the Wii, and save it on your computer. We are going to replace this file.

Step 3: Create the directories “/private/wii/title/RZDx/” on your SD card. x stands for the 4th letter in the file name of the file you will use, depending on your copy of Zelda. Please refer to the table below to see what to use in place of x.

table taken from Wiibrew.org

For example, I have a US copy of Zelda. The inner ring of my disc reads “RVL-RZDE-0A-0 JPN” so my directories would be “/private/wii/title/RZDE/”. In this folder you would place the appropriate file according to the table. Again, in my example, I would use the file titled “rzde0.bin”. Then rename this file to “data.bin”.

Step 4: Insert the SD card into the Wii. Go to Wii Options/Data Management/Save Data/Wii then click on the “SD Card” tab. The Twilight Hack save file should have an icon reading “Wiibrew loader”. Click the icon and select “Copy”. This will copy the hacked Zelda save file to your Wii.

You are now ready to run the Twilight Hack!

Part 2: Installing Your VC Games/WAD Files

Step 1: Extract the WAD installer, and put the file titled “wad-installer.elf” onto the root of your SD card. Rename it to “boot.elf”. Any ELF file named “boot.elf” will be run by the Twilight Hack.

Step 2: Create the directory “wad/” on the root of your SD card. This is where you put your VC games or other WAD files you would like to install on your Wii. You can install multiple files at one time.

Step 3: Insert the SD card into the Wii and start up Zelda: TP. Load the top save file. When the game starts, walk backwards and the game will crash, with code running across the screen for a bit. Eventually you will see this screen:

Step 4: Press the “reset” button on your Wii to install the WAD files you put on your SD card. It will go through and install the files. When finished, it will prompt you to press the “reset” button to return to the Wii menu.

Congratulations. You have now installed your VC games/WAD files.

WARNING: KEEP A COPY OF THE WAD FILES INSTALLED ON YOUR COMPUTER. YOU WILL NEED THESE TO UNINSTALL THEM FROM YOUR Wii.
Founding father of the Wiibrew Packgen.
About 2 noob posts away from going ape sh*t
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Wed May 07, 2008 3:13 pm

This would have be nice back when I had a Wii, the N64 games cost way too much.
<<

8-bit_ninja

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Thanks received: 0

Post Thu May 08, 2008 2:52 am

So this installs games already released on the VC, without the need to pay? Are there emulators out yet? Cool, though, good job.
This is a sig. You may think that there is something to it, but in fact it is just an ordinary sig.
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Thu May 08, 2008 4:11 am

The encryption on the VC games has been busted... so now you are able to download them in the form of WAD files. If you get some of these (it's not too hard) you can use this method to install those VC games onto your Wii.

Yes, there are a few emu's out for the Wii... although I haven't tried them myself. I use my xbox for that.
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 10 times

Thanks received: 29 times

Post Thu May 08, 2008 10:16 am

Can you also play backups using the twilight hack or just install VC games? O and play homebrew.
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
They call me tater salad.
<<

8-bit_ninja

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Post Fri May 09, 2008 11:32 am

I found a SNES emu, so I'll test that out when I can place the files on my SD card. I have a suggestion as well; should this be split into 2 tutorials? One for the Twilight hack, one for installing WADs. Also, the hack link requires a login to download.
This is a sig. You may think that there is something to it, but in fact it is just an ordinary sig.
<<

staxx

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Fri May 16, 2008 1:01 am

Does this require a modchip? Even though it's not listed in the requirements just want to make sure before i go ahead with the process. Good tutorial by the way. Easy to follow and organized.
Please do not act as a moderator! If you see something wrong, please report it to one of the moderators.
Click a name to report
Staxx Ace_012 Tbag
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Fri May 16, 2008 4:24 am

staxx wrote:Does this require a modchip? Even though it's not listed in the requirements just want to make sure before i go ahead with the process. Good tutorial by the way. Easy to follow and organized.

It does not require a modchip. The modchips only enable you to play backups.
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Fri May 16, 2008 6:48 pm

Oh wow so it is all in the Twilight hack.
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Sun May 18, 2008 2:33 pm

Ok I'll ask again, can you play backups using the twilight hack?
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Sun May 18, 2008 5:23 pm

I doubt it, the tutorial only states you can play VC games =/.
<<

cjpopp

Post Sun May 18, 2008 7:21 pm

Ok. Got a Wii today, so bear with me....

Got the files, made the directory, copied the bins and nothing is listed for the SD card on my Wii.

What if I don't have Zelda? Is the file in the Twilight Hack a saved Zelda file or has some resemblance of such to the Wii?

Yeah, there's no0bs out there... and I am one of them.
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Mon May 19, 2008 6:11 am

You need to read a little more carefully... under requirements it says that zelda is required.

To even do this, you need to run the twilight hack. It's called the Twilight hack because it uses zelda: TWILIGHT princess...
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Mon May 19, 2008 8:41 am

Thanks advent. I didn't know if there was a homebrew app to run backups yet or not. Running vc games is still pretty awesome :)
<<

cjpopp

Post Mon May 19, 2008 10:17 am

So is there a hack or method out there that does not require Zelda?
Next

Return to Wii Help & Tutorials