[Tutorial] Installing Downloaded VC Games

<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Mon May 19, 2008 12:01 pm

Probably not, although installing a mod chip can make a world of difference.
<<

ROFLOCar

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Mon May 26, 2008 3:48 pm

I would like to know:

How often does this mess up and a Wii is inoperable?

How easy is it to pull of this process?

And will I be able to update my Wii with these on my harddrive?

Please answer these questions because I am eager to get started :)
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks received: 15 times

Post Tue May 27, 2008 9:09 am

I have not heard of this messing up anyone's Wii. Just make sure whatever games you are installing are for your region. i.e. install only PAL wads on a PAL machine.

Very easy. I did it in a matter of minutes.

Yes, you can update your Wii. Nintendo has done nothing to try and detect these. Although it may be possible in the future for Nintendo to do so... but you can always uninstall them, so no worries.
Founding father of the Wiibrew Packgen.
About 2 noob posts away from going ape sh*t
<<

ROFLOCar

Post Tue May 27, 2008 1:14 pm

Well as tempting as this sounds, Google is not merciful. I cannot find any virtual console downloads, and also I am not allowed to post where I can find any.

Sad face:(
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Wed May 28, 2008 5:26 am

The most I can tell you is if you have access to newsgroups or irc there's a ton on there. Also torrents might be a good place to check. Can't be any more specific than that.
<<

ROFLOCar

Post Thu May 29, 2008 2:26 pm

Alright well thanks anyways. Imma check some torrents.

NEW QUESTION:

I have never been quite good with these sort of things and am already confused (although I modded my original XBOX without modchip).

I cannot find my file type in the ring of the game, plus what do i do when i have the file one i need?
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Fri May 30, 2008 4:23 am

First off, please don't double post. On the top right of your posted message you will see an "edit" button. Please use that next time.

Second, to find your game version turn the disc over (data side up). Just on the inside of the data you will see a hologram of stuff. There's a barcode looking line of data that runs almost halfway around the inside of the disc data. You will also find your disc version code there.

When you do figure out which file to use, follow the tutorial... put the file in the file path specified in the tutorial on your SD card.
<<

ROFLOCar

Post Fri May 30, 2008 3:07 pm

EDIT: GOT IT!!!

I successfully got it onto my Wii, went into Twilight Princess, loaded the gamesave, and went up to the guy, and it freezes every time.

What am I doing wrong?
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Sat May 31, 2008 10:09 pm

Does the game crash? Try walking backwards, not toward the guy. If the SD card is in the Wii with the file in the root named boot.elf then when you run the game should crash (go black and start scrolling lines of code) and then should automatically boot up the elf file on the SD card.
<<

Numa84

Post Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:13 am

Answering different questions posted here:
1. The twilight hack does not allow you to run backups, neither does any other homebrew released so far.
2. You have an option if you know someone who has a Zelda game, you can borrow it once and use the twilight hack to install the "homebrew channel" wich will allow you to run almost any .elf or .dol files without using the Zelda anymore.
3. The game seems to crash, in fact it crashes, is how we are able to run not native code. Assuming you have the right version of twilight hack installed some code should show up in your screen and finally the hack will run the boot.elf you have placed in your SD card root directory. If you have none it wont do anything.
4. I dont think this would make any harm to your wii, but in case it does you still have your warranty. Personally I used twilight hack with no harm to my wii.

Hopes its usefull.

Bye :P
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 10 times

Thanks received: 29 times

Post Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:46 am

Oh, so I could just rent Zelda? Nice thanks for shedding some light on that ;) I'm so going to do this now.
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
They call me tater salad.
<<

ROFLOCar

Post Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:12 pm

brentbizzle wrote:Does the game crash? Try walking backwards, not toward the guy. If the SD card is in the Wii with the file in the root named boot.elf then when you run the game should crash (go black and start scrolling lines of code) and then should automatically boot up the elf file on the SD card.

Okay so I am having extreme troubles with this.

Please answer.

1. Does this make a channel on your Wii for the game you installed?

2. I inserted the .elf file and named it boot.elf. Is that correct?

3. I was unable to insert the "/" in the "/wad" file in the root of the SD Card. It would not let me put it there.

AND FINALLY....

4. I have been trying to put these .wads into the "wad" folder in the root of my SD card. Will they work?

http://thepiratebay.org/tor/4157446/46. ... Packed.PAL
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:52 am

1. The wads that have been released up until now ARE channels. If you buy a game off of the Wiishop, you would get that game in the form of a channel on your Wii main menu. This is what you are installing.

2. Yes, the wad installer should be named boot.elf and placed in the root of your SD card

3. Have no idea what you're talking about. In the root of your SD card you should make a foldered labeled "wad". Then put whatever wads you want installed in that folder.

4. If you have a PAL system, then yes, they will. If you don't, then no. There may be a way to get around the region encoding, but I haven't gone into how to do it because I don't care that much to do it, and the Wii is infamous for problems arising when you mess with other region's materials.
<<

ROFLOCar

Post Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:21 pm

What are PAL systems? Is that in America?
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:52 am

dude, a quick google search can answer that question. People are here and willing to help, but we're not gonna spoon feed you.

And yes, I'm taking the time to write this and NOT answer your question. It will teach you the usefulness of teh internets.
PreviousNext

Return to Wii Help & Tutorials