Forum    News    Downloads    Saved Games

Can't read boot.elf (-1)!

<<

The_Hams

Young Brewer

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:44 pm

Terdinglage wrote:to verify, you are extracting the .zip file right, not putting the actual wiibrew.zip onto the sd card?

Er...um...no. I didn't know that was part of the deal! :P

Sorry. That's prolly my problem. I'm not particulately a genius when it comes to zip files, or anything computer-related, for this matter.

I'll get on that in the morning, for it's getting quite late. ^_^ Thank you for all your help today, though.

EDIT: Wiibrew.exe does not seem to open when I download it through Safari. It gives me the same "Unable to unarchive Wiibrew.exe.zip into Desktop". Does your Wiibrew.exe come out as a Wiibrew.exe.zip? It does for me if I get it with Safari. It comes out as a true-blue .exe file if I download it with FireFox, but I can't do anything with it 'cause I'm on a Mac. Might you've been able to open it because you're on some Windows/Mac hybrid? (Just a thought.)

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see your new message. I'll try it again now. Thank you. :)
<<

Terdinglage

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:48 pm

The_Hams wrote:
Terdinglage wrote:to verify, you are extracting the .zip file right, not putting the actual wiibrew.zip onto the sd card?

Sorry. That's prolly my problem. I'm not particulately a genius when it comes to zip files, or anything computer-related, for this matter.

I'll get on that in the morning, for it's getting quite late. ^_^ Thank you for all your help today, though.

EDIT: Wiibrew.exe does not seem to open when I download it through Safari. It gives me the same "Unable to unarchive Wiibrew.exe.zip into Desktop". Does your Wiibrew.exe come out as a Wiibrew.exe.zip? It does for me if I get it with Safari. It comes out as a true-blue .exe file if I download it with FireFox, but I can't do anything with it 'cause I'm on a Mac. Might you've been able to open it because you're on some Windows/Mac hybrid? (Just a thought.)

Alrighty, I wish you luck! Dont worry about not fully understanding, you actually helped us find a much worse error that needed fixing!
<<

The_Hams

Young Brewer

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:00 pm

Terdinglage wrote:
The_Hams wrote:

I had our smart admin look into it, and you dont need to worry about using the .exe anymore (he fixed the zip file so it works on macs)! Simply download it as a zip, and the file wont be corrupted (you can use mac OS, any browser you want). Then, open up the zip file and move all of its contents to the root of your memory stick. Follow my video tutorial to run the twilight hack and you will be good to go!

EDIT: Alrighty, I wish you luck! Dont worry about not fully understanding, you actually helped us find a much worse error that needed fixing!

I refreshed the PackGenerator and made a new zip, but I'm still getting "Decompression failed" and "Unable to unarchive Wiibrew.zip". Same with a newly-generated Wiibrew.exe.zip.
<<

Terdinglage

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:04 pm

That is really weird... it was working before I left OSX. What decompression program are you using? For now, if you want to get set up, I would recommend just using Windows and making sure you extract the zip file, and then put its contents onto the root of the SD card. At least until we get the Mac bugs totally worked out.
<<

The_Hams

Young Brewer

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:20 pm

Just tried it again. No dice.

I don't think I'm really using any decompression program, except for Safari...I download it on Safari and double-click it on the desktop. No other programs are involved.

Yeah, I'll be able to get on my Windows computer in the morning, when I have the strength to walk upstairs to get to it. :P
<<

Terdinglage

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:21 pm

By morning, we should have the mac compatibility issue resolved, ill keep ya posted :D
<<

Terdinglage

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:40 pm

The packgen has been updated with instructions on how to install on each different OS, and the mac issue has been resolved. Enjoy!
<<

Lyle

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:11 am

I am getting the same error. I tried to reload the files from the SD card and Wii tells me that data already exist on the Wii!

Steps that I followed:

1. Deleted Saved Twilight Princess file from Wii
2. Created Wiibrew data on SD card.
3. Ran Twilight Princess Hack from SD card from my Wii
4. Opened game Twilight Princess and followed instructions on approaching man and talking to him. The code executed and then Can't read boot.elf (-1)! message and hanging. Frozen until I closed power on Wii.
5. Tried again running Twilight Princess hack from SD card and Will tells me that data already exists on Wii.
6. How do I get this to work?

Any help would be deeply appreciated as I am excited to get this to work.

Thanks in advance.
<<

The_Hams

Young Brewer

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:20 am

w00t w00t! It works on my Mac now!

Lyle, make sure you take the files out of the .zip and then put them on your card. That turned out to be (one of) my problem(s) that was resulting in the same error you're getting.
<<

Lyle

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:59 am

The Hams, are you telling me that if I re-did my SD card in the method you mentioned then my Wii will not tell me that the data already exists on the Wii when I try to copy it to the Wii again.

Thanks for your help.
<<

Terdinglage

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:27 am

Re: Can't read boot.elf (-1)!

Lyle wrote:The Hams, are you telling me that if I re-did my SD card in the method you mentioned then my Wii will not tell me that the data already exists on the Wii when I try to copy it to the Wii again.

Thanks for your help.

That sounds like it still has the non-working twilight hack save on your Wii's internal memory. Make sure you delete to old twilight hack, and then attempt to copy over the new, working version of the twilight hack that you have from your latest pack. The problem is that if you downloaded the .zip yesterday on a mac, there were minor compatability issues that made the twilight hack not work. Any copies of the twilight hack downloaded today off of the packgen are 100% operational though.
<<

Lyle

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:03 pm

Same problem... I am on a PC and not Mac

Removed old twilight hack from Wii and created new custom pak with only twilight Hack and Homebrew. Same issue again and again...

Any help would be appreciated...thanks
<<

Terdinglage

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:14 pm

Lyle wrote:Same problem... I am on a PC and not Mac

Removed old twilight hack from Wii and created new custom pak with only twilight Hack and Homebrew. Same issue again and again...

Any help would be appreciated...thanks

After you delete the Twilight Hack you need to make sure you select both the Homebrew Channel and the Twilight Hack when your creating your new pack, did you do that?

Once again to clarify, you are for sure putting the data thats inside the .zip on the SD card right? You should not be putting a .zip file on the root of your SD card, it should be the several different folders inside the zip that should be put on the root instead.
<<

Lyle

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:21 pm

Steps that I followed

1. Removed old hack from Wii
2. Created new pack with only Homebrew channel and Twilight Hack.
3. On SD card in root I see data folder, boot.elf (1.590KB) and readme.txt file
4. Followed directions on loading new Pack on Wii

Results:

Re: Can't read boot.elf (-1)! Hanging message after running for about 30 seconds

Please help..desperately would like this to work.

Thanks
<<

Lyle

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:35 pm

Problem solved...thanks to all for there support.

Fix: Needed to format my SD card with a formater program I downloaded from the Internet called SDFomatter.

Thanks Again
PreviousNext

Return to Wii Help & Tutorials